Reading at Monkston
At Monkston, we want our children to become fluent, lifelong and confident readers who are passionate about reading.
Children who read regularly and are read to regularly have the opportunity to open the doors to so many different worlds! More importantly, reading will give your child the tools to become independent life-long learners.
We can achieve this together through:
- Daily phonics lessons in KS1 and EYFS (Read Write Inc - A program to help to your child read at school).
- Daily whole class guided reading.
- Daily small group and teacher reading in KS1.
- Daily story time (stories which are progressive throughout the school, linked to each year group’s curriculum and have a clear rationale for sharing with the children).
- Encouraging children to develop a love of books by reading to them daily, at home and at school.
- Giving children access to a wide range of books at school and at home.